Hillsong

Hillsong has a definite special place in my heart.

I love Hillsong, I love anything related to Hillsong. Mention the name, it can raise a certain delight in me. I do wonder why. I like Planetshakers, Jesus Culture, TW, whatever.

But I LOVE Hillsong.

I first heard of Hillsong during my highschool days, when I haven't repented. They was the days when Darlene is getting popular, I think. I saw the CD in class, a friend was borrowing the CD from another friend. But due to the (sorry) unexciting cover, I took no interest.

Think it was this one. I remembered it has Darlene on the cover.

Now it makes me wonder. If they were exchanging Hillsong CDs, most likely they were Christians. If they had told me about Jesus back then, they could've made my teenage years so different. But they didn't. I came across tons of Christians before I finally repented. None told me about how beautiful Jesus is. I heard about him vaguely in my Catholic Church.

But still I got to know Him, in our own unique way (Story here). Which just shows God is good, He didn't let go of me, and neither of you, right?

Noone came evangelizing to my face about Him, or forcing me to come to cellgroup or church or whatever. Only thing I can remember is Gisella (yes, THAT Gisel Idol) asked me to come to a mini crusade in her church (which was Mawar Sharon as well. Talk about fate), 6 years before I repented. Might seem insignificant, but it isn't. Eventhough it took 6 years, what she did made a difference. It made me know Who to look for when I finally realized I needed a God.

OK, back to Hillsong.

I was exposed to Hillsong again after I repented in 08. They were singing these beautiful songs during praise and worship at church, and them lyrics were so alive, unlike any song I've ever heard before! Then I found out it was Hillsong.

Songs like Take it All and Look to You highlighted my early days as a new creation. Healer was a new song back then. Favorite worship song then was Where The Love Lasts Forever.

Take it All gave me a new perspective of doing things in life. That I'm doing whatever I was doing in life for a reason now! For a Person. It wasn't just for myself for an uncertain future, now it is something bigger. It gives life and activities meaning.

Our praise, and all we are today, take take take it all!

My young teenage heart was burning with a new passion of living for God! It really helped of putting into perspective how He is supposed to be in the top position in my mental priority list. All that I am, I give to Jesus. It's a joyful feeling to be able to give anything to anyone. Moreover, your praise and your all, to God.



A few week after I was baptized, I broke up with my ex. So, my early repentance days was going hand in hand with a deep broken heart post breaking up. But I guess it was a good timing, cos it made me run to God to heal my broken heart instead of whatever there is out there that the world has to offer. And Look to You was my anthem.

So I look to You, so I look to You! Noone else will do, noone else will do!

It made me see that my boyfriend will never be able to fill the emptiness in my heart, ever. It's putting too much responsibility in him that we all know he will never be able to fulfill. That position, only God can do.

Singing the song zapped my focus back to Jesus, the only One who will ever.. do. You need love, His love will never fail. You need healing, He is healing. You need a friend, He is your eternal bff who is ever interested in your life: that crush you have, that excessive fat on the thighs, that fun career you are aiming for, that zit that is bugging you..

Whatever the means He uses to bless you, when you have Him, that's it. Everything else is from Him. He holds a position of fulfillment in your life that noone else will ever be able to give. Noone else will do. So look to Jesus!



There were times when I'd feel so lonely. Just broken up, wasn't that close with my family (biological or not), not a lot of buddies.. I knew I had socializing issues. And it took a long time for me to just admit it, that I wasn't that it-girl I'd always wanted to be. And it took a second of revelation to realize that that was completely okay!

So I throw my life upon all that You are, cos I know You gave it all for me. When all else fades, my soul will dance with You, where the Love lasts forever.

My life now, is in the hands of Jesus, of someone who gave all for me (and you). He left heaven, He let go of His comfort and position as God, came to earth and in the end let go of His Father's presence, His friends, His family, His clothes, lost His disciples, humiliated, and in the end, gave His life. For me and you. All that, you can see at the cross. And all that He gave up, is for you and me to receive: The presence of The Lord, friends, family, clothes on your back, provision and food for you to eat.. Which Hillsong also sang about in Beautiful Exchange. But that's a whole other story. I'm talking about Where the Love Lasts Forever now.

Imagine that teenager, having some serious self image issues. Guided by the stunning lyrics of a song, knowing that there was a God (not only a human, but God Himself), propelled by mere love, would gave up all, just for her. Just so that after all this life on earth, He could be with her in a situation where she could be loved with a love that never dies, His love that lasts forever.

I would cry to the song. The revelation it brings slowly but surely healed me inside out. I felt so loved, and it gives me that sense that I mean something to someOne, that someOne sees me of worth. Now don't get me wrong. I know we are not worthy. We are saved by God's grace and that's it, none of our performance plays part. But because I know I'm not worthy, yet God sees me worth saving, it is too much to comprehend, too good to be true.

God sees you worth sending His Son to die for, my friend. He loves you, and He wants you to be with Him. Period.

The song also shifts my focus from life now, to life after now. There is something better after we leave this earth: We will be with Him! And that place will be so beautiful, I couldn't imagine.
Back in 08 I haven't really known what the gift of salvation really means. Now I know FOR SURE that I will see Him. But even just the hope of seeing God is already powerful enough to ease the pain. How much more the assurance that you WILL be with Him!



Lots of other songs from Hillsong has beautiful messages. I'm not saying other Christian bands and singer doesn't. There are tons of anointed singers out there. But again, Hillsong has a soft spot in me.

Few more of my all time favorite songs besides those three, songs that left some deep footsteps:


One more aspect that I really respect about Hillsong is that they really make quality music, that is on par if not better than some of the secular music. I mean, if you would create crappy low quality songs about Jesus then of course people would prefer secular music! But because there are quality Christian songs like these, I would happily choose Hillsong over any band or singer you would offer me. They are on trend and young! I really really am happy about that.
Gives us young Believers something cool to listen to other than old hymns. Not that hymns are uncool. But yeah. I'm saying it has its own place, but definitely not in my iphone on the way to school. Maybe on someone else's. I don't know.

And as a designer, I love their design and branding!! Oooohhh I'm excited. They have evolved a lot since the days of the first picture I put above. They are cool now. Super cool. So cool that it's inspiring. I'm just happy that the band I love pays good attention to design as well. ARGH. Two of my favorite things in life.

My favorites of their designs are the last two United albums, Aftermath and Zion. They are so cool can!!!!! Jaime Jie bought me the Aftermath album for my birthday last year. I was a little disappointed at first since I've got all their songs already, but boy once I opened it, them disappointments crumbled to inexistence.

So on trend.

Their designers are so cool!

Their series of aftermath stuff.







It. Was. Freaking. Cool.

I'm so glad she bought me the album. Thanks a lot Jie!!!

This year, how they prepared for Zion really gets people pumped up. The teaser teased successfully. Their marketing on Instagram was beautiful and smart. I was bought big time. It got me sooooooooooo hyped.

All pics brom their facebook.







And finally...



My very own Zion!!!! Go get it people!!! It's in stores now!!! And buy lah, don't download.. They worked hard for this! :)

I am a designer and illustrator. And I am a Believer. My biggest aim in life is to be able to design for God. That would be so amazing! And Hillsong inspires and gives me hope. The scale of what they are going, I want to do! Oooh I really love this band. They are amazing.

If one day someone from Hillsong reads this, know that I am really thankful of your existence and ministry. It has definitely touched me, and countless lives out there. God has used you so well in impacting my life. Just, THANK YOU!!!

For all aspiring Christian songwriters.. Hillsong definitely had their early days.. Go to youtube and you can see how they have evolved! But know that what you are doing really can impact and change people's lives! So if you like it, and even better if you are sure this is you calling, don't fret! You're doing something amazing for His Kingdom!!

For me, Hillsong is more than just a mere Christian band with cool songs. They more or less changed my life. They were there all along my walk with Jesus. Through them, I got to know my Jesus a lot more. I often use their songs to worship during my quiet time. So like how sometimes lovers have their "own" song, Hillsong's are mine and Jesus'. Their songs are a life soundtrack. An inspiration. A blessing. How bland will life be without them.

I think my 13 year old little brother Bryan described it best.

"Hillsong made praising Jesus fun."

Well said, bro.
Kadek M said...

Where the Love lasts forever, dalemm!

Unknown said...

wakkakaa mooo km ya mbacai blogku yoo! makaseeee hahahhaa..

Kadek M said...

iya mbooo, it's interesting & encouraging :D

Unknown said...

Hahahaha tq mooo