Warning. Melancholic.

I was cooking my Indomie when I suddenly remembered the first Hari Raya holiday after my mom passed away.

I just turned 7, and for a few months I had no mother, which means my dad must take care of me by himself.

During the Hari Raya period, all the servants would go back home to their hometowns, which only leaves the house with three of us, the other one person being my nanny who was kind enough not to leave us. I remembered my dad buying a bunch of various types of instant noodles for us to eat, because there noone was cooking.

I remember waking up at the middle of the night hungry, and dad wasn't around, and nanny would cook a plate of Indomie for me. I remember us having lunch, both slurping our instant noodles, and the memory of my huge daddy eating instant noodle was a little.. Well it makes me feel a little blue.

Come to think of it, why didn't we just eat out? Two answers came to mind.

Either he was very busy with work and other stuff relating to my mom's death, or we were financially struggling.

Either way, he took a really good care of me. His ways might not be the best, but I turned out pretty well I guess. Not smoking, no drugs, not alcoholic, no babies, graduated school..

Looking at our family now, with my stepmom and my two little siblings.. A lot of stuff has changed. I'm grateful that Indomie is now a "luxury", not a necessity.

:)